Virginia Tech®home

Criteria for Transfer Credit

Virginia Community College Transfer Credit FAQs 

  • Will Virginia Tech accept P/F grades for transfer credit? 
    Virginia Community College (VCCS) and Richard Bland College (RBC) grades of P+ (the equivalent of a C or better) are considered for transfer credit for spring semester 2020 only. Institutions other than the VCCS will require confirmation the student earned a C or better.
  • How will a grade of P+ impact me if my major requires a grade of B or higher in a course? 
    A grade of P+ on a spring 2020 course will have no impact on the student meeting a major requirement of a grade of B or higher. 
  • If I earn a grade of P+ on a course that is a pre-requisite course for a course in my major, will I still be able to enroll in that course? 
    Yes. Transferable courses in which a grade of P+ is earned in spring 2020 will transfer and apply to appropriate degree requirements. 
  • When should I request my transcript? 
    You should request your final transcript(s) as soon as grades are posted from the spring semester. Please contact your community college to inquire about degree conferral. Degrees might be conferred at a later date. 
  • The International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) announced exams will be canceled this year. Are students still eligible to receive Virginia Tech credit?
    IBO has indicated diplomas and certificates will still be awarded. Virginia Tech will award credit for IB diplomas or certificates,  For an overview of credit awarded by subject, view the IB Credit information.

For additional information regarding transfer credit, and to view a comprehensive list of transferable courses, please view the Virginia Tech Transfer Guide For information regarding Financial Aid, please visit

Alternative Grades outside of the VCCS and RBC

Virginia Tech continues to adapt to the rapidly changing circumstances that the spread of COVID-19 present. We have extended accepting Passing grades to include fall semester 2020. The passing grade must be the equivalent of a C or better (a C- does not transfer). Students earning a P grade, or any alternative grade option at another college or university, for spring and fall 2020, may provide evidence of earning a C or better. The evidence may be on the official transcript or may be provided by the university’s records office or faculty who taught the course.

Criteria for Assessing Transfer Credit

The following criteria will assist you in understanding your transfer credit evaluation:

  • Virginia Tech accepts credit from U.S. colleges or universities which are accredited by one of the regional accreditors listed here. International universities must be recognized by that country’s Ministry of Education to be considered for transfer credit.
  • No more than half of the credit hours required for a Virginia Tech degree may be transferred from community colleges.
  • A grade of “C” or better must be earned to be considered for transfer. Pass/Fail grades, other than COVID-19 grades from spring 2020, are not considered for transfer. Developmental courses, and career and technical courses, do not transfer.
  • Students who did not earn the necessary grade in a course at Virginia Tech should consult their advisors if they wish to transfer the course. A Virginia Tech course with a grade of D- or higher will not be replaced with transfer credit. Academic advisors can inform students about the departmental policy for meeting course grade requirements with transfer credit. Regardless of the grade required at Virginia Tech, the transferred course must be a C or better. A grade of C- will not transfer.
  • Course credit hours from institutions operating on the quarter system are converted to the semester system by multiplying the quarter hours by two thirds.
  • Courses taken elsewhere while a student is on suspension will not transfer to Virginia Tech.
  • To view the status of your transfer credit, log into Hokie Spa, select Grades, then Transfer and Other Additional Credit.
  • Transfer courses without a final grade presented on the official transcript will display on the Hokie Spa transfer credit screen as “In Progress.” A final transcript with grades must be submitted for courses to be considered for transfer.

For information on how your transfer credit applies toward your degree, please contact your academic advisor. Additionally, continuing students wishing to take courses elsewhere should consult their acdemic advisor. A preauthorization form and/or syllabus may be required.

Submitting Official Transcripts

Transfer credit is awarded in the Office of the University Registrar for all students. New, incoming students are responsible for providing official transcripts to Undergraduate Admissions. Continuing students should send official transcripts to the Office of the University Registrar.

Transcripts may be sent electronically if the transferring school offers that option, but may not be emailed from the student or parent. They may be sent through the postal system, or transcripts may be hand-delivered. Hand-delivered transcripts are considered official only if they are in the original sealed envelope from the sending college.

Requirements for New Students transferring from International Colleges

The Office of the University Registrar requires additional documentation from students in order to process transfer credit from International institutions. To be considered for college transfer credit, the student must provide the following:

  • An official transcript sent directly from the nationally recognized institution. If the transcripts are not in English, an English translation must accompany the transcript.
  • A course syllabus (not a course description) might be required. Please see your Hokie Spa transfer credit to determine whether a syllabus is necessary. A syllabus should be in English and include the title of the textbook used, and a breakdown of chapters and subjects studied.  
  • International transfer credit will not be awarded until all required documentation has been received by the Office of the University Registrar.
  • A certified course-by-course international credit evaluation performed by a recognized evaluator. The following professional agencies are among those recognized by Virginia Tech:

Global Credential Evaluators
P.O. Box 9203
College Station, TX 77842-9203 USA
Phone: 800-707-0979
Fax: 512-528-9293

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
P. O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470 USA
Phone: 414-289-3400
Fax: 414-289-3411

World Education Services (WES)1
ATTN: Documentation Center
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087 USA
Phone: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6100
Web: www.wes.org1

1 WES evaluations do not adhere to the standard conversion for ECTS credits of 2:1; therefore, the credit conversion for these evaluations will be disregarded.

Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc.
9461 Charleville Blvd, Box #188
Beverly Hills, CA 90212 USA
Phone: (310) 275-3530
Fax: (310) 275-3528

Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Education Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173 USA
Phone: 305-273-1616
Fax: 305-273-1338; Translation Fax: 305-273-1984
Web: Email:

Please contact these agencies for applications and fees.